Company Mobile Phone Management
For Mobile Device Management (MDM) at Pojišťovna České spořitelny, Ness Technologies selected a solution that facilitates greater efficiency in the use of mobile devices, supports data security, and improves IT support for the staff.
|Initial state||Solution goals|
The employees of Pojišťovna Česke spořitelny use smart mobile phones to work with an increasing amount of company data and documents. In order to support sales staff, the company plans to launch mobile applications and other services. In addition, the company's IT department began to feel the need for a system to safeguard mobile use and effectively manage and set up mobile devices, to access to company email and calendars, or to use certificates and VPN. The department also sought to improve support for users/its staff when solving security and technical problems.
The client requested a solution that would provide control over mobile phones that the staff use to work with company data. Another of the required functions was the management of all prominent mobile operating systems, both existing and future. The client felt it was important to be able, in line with current and future IT trends, to use mobile devices with various operating systems.
To ensure effective operation of the company's IT system, the application needed to be easy to implement into the company infrastructure, operate and to be sufficiently intuitive and user-friendly for administrators.
In order to secure mobile data and manage mobile devices, Ness chose the Mobile Virtual Smartphone Platform from MobileIron – a comprehensive solution for the remote management of company mobile devices that works as part of the company's IT infrastructure. The solution enables the integrated management of telephones and tablets with various operating systems in real time. It is able to continuously monitor the operation of individual devices and proactively warn users before they exceed limits for calls, texts, and data. The solution reduces the risk that company data will be misused if telephones are lost or stolen.
The MobileIron Mobile Virtual Smartphone Platform handles several main tasks:
- Security – The administrator can perform a range of operations such as remote locking, and localization or deletion of a mobile device in the case of an imminent threat to data. Only company data can be erased from private telephones (selective wipe). It is also possible to define a precise list of specific mobile devices that have access to company email and contacts or other systems and applications (CRM, ERP, etc.). In the event of any deviation from the mandatory security policy, it is possible to fully block any access to company systems and applications.
- Integrated management of various mobile platforms – MobileIron Virtual Smartphone is a cross-platform solution that enables unified management of mobile devices with various operating systems (IOS, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile or Symbian). When designing the system, the manufacturer actively responds to current trends in the development of mobile operating systems.
- Encryption – The MVSP is able to encrypt telephone memory, including memory cards, and to block the use of phone functions such as the camera, Wi-Fi and others.
- Central administration of company mobile devices – In the area of management and settings, the MobileIron solution enables the central management of company mobile devices and employee support. The telephones may be managed based on user or device groups. It is possible to perform the remote setting of parameters and the backup of telephone contents; to monitor operational status, deploy security certificates, automatically update applications and data, and more.
- Application management – The solution also makes it possible to keep records of applications, select recommended applications and restrict those that are not permitted. It is also possible to prepare an "in-house" application shop with recommended company programs. When internal applications and systems are mobilized, IT obtains a tool for deploying and managing these on mobile devices (updates and upgrades).
- Optimize operations and reduce company expenses for mobile communications – The Mobile Intelligence function continuously monitors the operation of individual devices and proactively cautions users before they exceed limits for calls, texts and data. As such, the function prevents "invoice shock" when a data connection is used on roaming.
Main Benefits of the Solution
- Increasing the security of sensitive company data on employees' mobile phones.
- Limiting the risk of misuse of company data in the case phones are lost or stolen.
- Centralized management and oversight of mobile devices with various operating systems.
- The option to remotely set mobile devices, without the need of their physical presence.
- The management, distribution, and updating of applications on mobile devices.
"In our company we are using more and more "smart" phones for work, which results in more and more company data flowing between the secured company systems and the mobile devices of our employees. The development of the company mobile communication has brought about greater demands on technical support. We therefore wanted to increase the security of company mobile devices and the option of remote support. The Virtual Smartphone Management Platform solution that Ness helped implement in our company will allow us to effectively respond to new trends in this highly dynamic area."
Dušan Drdla, Head of IT Department, Pojišťovna Česke spořitelny, a.s., Vienna Insurance Group
About Pojišťovna České spořitelny, a.s., Vienna Insurance Group
Founded in 1992, Pojišťovna Česke spořitelny, a.s., Vienna Insurance Group is today one of the largest insurance companies on the Czech market. Its registered capital is CZK 1.9 billion. It offers life insurance products in the wide network of Česka spořitelna branches and through renowned external partners. It is a leading provider of bank insurance on the Czech market. In 2010, its gross premiums amounted to CZK 9.2 billion. Since 2008 it has been a member of the strong Vienna Insurance Group.